Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ha-ha.

I'm all about the yuks.

I love things that are funny. Most people do and everything, but I'd like to think I have a leeeetle bit of comedy fan bona fides... I mean, I own comedy records. And one time Chris Hardwick pulled my hairband off my head. (Oh, sorry, did that name hit your toe when I dropped it? HE USED TO HOST SHIPMATES, PEOPLE.) And I like trying to be funny. Sometimes in public! Point is, I actually really care about humor.

I also love design. I could fight with myself or anyone else all day long about fashion... I really struggle with it and what it is and what it means, and I am never really sure if it's the right "thing" for me. But really, I have a heart for it. I really do love beautiful fashion. Unlike most things in life, fashion design is something I feel I can really take seriously and appreciate with my heart.

But in most cases I get way more excited about totally stupid fashion. Most of my "oh my god I must have it" purchases have been SUPER DUMB. See: Necklace with blinged-out "LOL," tank top with pictures of bodybuilders, racoon tail (as I always insist when I mention it: yes, it's real. You can touch it if you want). Last night I wore a crop top that says "Los Angeles" in brushstroke-y neon letters on it. It draped nicely (it was huge) but it was mostly a joke.
The WHYs: first off, beauty is something to cherish... but fashion gets taken pretty fucking seriously for what it is. Often for the wrong reasons. Fashion is a thing, but there are one bajillion things in the world that are so much more important. Fashion needs a piss-take every now and again.

But here's what I really feel. Lookit this:Oh, I'm sorry, what's that, Alessa tank top from Colette?
Oh, you're COVERED IN REALISTIC DRAWINGS OF FISH?

Homg, people, my heart is sure to burst. This, this is what I live for.

You know what it is? It's like coincidence. On one of my recent GBOTs I expounded on the beauty of coincidence when I made some correct predictions. There are some things one encounters in life that are so unlikely to happen that when they DO happen, it blows out your worldview to a place where you can believe in anything. It's magic. This fancy tank top with pictures of trout on it is one of those things. How is this real?

"How is this real?" is the magic phrase. When I have to ask, "How is this real?," a special place has been reached. A place where things aren't what they're supposed to be. A place outside of normal life, a place we see through the cracks when the monotony of order breaks down. A place not bound by expectations and fear.

And I think legitimately wonderful design can take us to this place, too. But damn, the fish shirt is so much funnier. And I love things that are funny.

I wish I had a way to wrap this in better, but I can't talk about the relationship between humor and design without mentioning Mockitecture. I don't understand what mockitecture is. I don't ever understand what the hell those gentlemen (Matt Shaw and some dude not named Norton) are talking about, thanks to my general dearth of knowledge re: architecture. Oh, plus they are crazy. But the boys use the word "funny" a lot, and every time I see it my heart swells. And while I think the spirit of what they do veers into mockery (go figure) because it's funny, I cannot believe that Mockitecture isn't ruled by wonder. I mean, the Longaberger HQ is SHAPED LIKE A BASKET. HOW IS THIS REAL?

Mockitecture, I have no idea what you're talking about but you fill me with inspiration.

Oh, totally wack, awesome fashion? I'm calling it Smashion, in honor of this blog's totally shitty original name and because it's the first thing I could think of, and because it alllmost gets at the idea of fashion that is beautifully fucked up.

No comments: