Tuesday, March 31, 2009

CONCEPT WORK

CONCEPTS I WILL NOT BE USING FOR KNITWEAR THIS QUARTER:

1. Awesome Future Babes (of the past!)

REASON WHY NOT: I already explored retrofuturism in a previous project, in which I hate on it mercilessly. This could be another "Lauren sometimes wears Crocs" debacle (NEVER IN PUBLIC, PEOPLE). And also my last project was about lady robots. I can't just do lady robot projects over and over, as much as I'd kind of like to.

2. American Indians

REASON WHY NOT: Possibly xenophobic. But the draw to work with animal parts again is strong. Here again is demonstrated the fact that I just never let shit go once I fall in love with it.

3. Donkeys

REASON WHY NOT: Saving it for thesis, obviously.

4. Space Pegasus

REASON WHY NOT: Not really anywhere to go with this. Also, it is closely (enough) related to #1 and 3. Also, it might be necessary to save it for thesis too, in case I want to expand to "awesome things that are not horses but are almost horses." Oh, plus I already twittered about it so it's WAY tired.



Possible ideas still in the running:

1. Space Disco

REASON WHY I STILL PROBABLY WON'T DO IT: I love you, space disco music. But music doesn't look like something. Except maybe retrofuturism. See above.

2. Blood, Guts, Violence, Etc. (aka, "Ick")

REASON WHY I STILL PROBABLY WON'T DO IT: This was my hobbyhorse for most of the past three months. But I'm feeling much better now. Getting more sunlight.


It's like inventing the lightbulb, right? I'm figuring out what I'm NOT doing in search of what I WILL do.

4 comments:

Brandon said...

Hmm... how about heroic fashion. Like not capes and shiz but ensembles that emulate the heroic person. An piece that resembles "in flight" or accents the muscular to show "strength"? Could even reference retro heroes and that style... Maybe something with tight dots that resemble the old school dot printing in comics?

Aggh, I'm an I.D. guy, this is probably a horribly non trendy thing. Hero fashion is like 3 years old right?

Lauren D. said...

MOMA(I think) actually did a retrospective on superhero-inspired/related fashion like a year ago, so you're not too far off! I actually referenced the catalogue for my last project (the lady robot one).

you ID guys. always with the dude-ness. as much of a non-girly girl as I am, I think I tend to design from a really feminine perspective... seems like ID can be so masculine. interesting.

TreeOfMike said...

I hope that, by donkeys, you actually mean donks.

Lauren D. said...

But of course!

Actually I am fine with the regular-size version, too... plus, people tend to not really understand when i try and explain donks to them.